HPAC/ACVL
Hang Gliding & Paragliding Association of Canada
Association Canadienne de Vol Libre

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Forum SubscriptionsForum Subscriptions   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Executive Director Contract?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HPAC/ACVL Forum Index -> AGM 2018 - Annual General Meeting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martin Henry
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 09:23 am    Post subject: Executive Director Contract? Reply with quote

On the Budget forum thread, I indicated that I am voting against the BOD’s proposed budget. My explanation included my concerns about the ever-inflating costs of the Executive Directors position and the lack of consultation with the membership.

In ten years, the membership has watched the cost of the Executive Directors compensation increase from $18,900 to a proposed $48,000 without any clear plan in place that has been presented to the membership for approval (tho, admittedly, a tiny portion of the membership have approved the budgets during this period).

$48,000 will represent the single largest financial obligation in the history of the HPAC/ACVL. With this in mind, it is my opinion the membership do not have enough information to allow this proposed change to proceed. It is about time the membership receives a report on both the scope of the Executive Directors position and a detailed contract breakdown of financial obligations/liabilities associated with that contract.

As a member of the HPAC/ACVL, I do not know if the BOD has protected our financial interests, nor do I know if the BOD protected our future. Questions regarding performance review, contract duration, termination of contract, severance obligation, succession planning and ongoing compensation adjustments have not been presented to the membership.

I am asking the BOD to provide a reasonably detailed statement at this AGM outlining the questions above.

Finally, I want to be clear… my position has nothing to do with the “person” that currently occupies the Executive Directors position. In fact, my real concern is the current Executive Director can’t be replaced as they have provided services far beyond the services that would be available from any future hire. (and replacement is inevitable). I think the expression the best sums up my concerns is: “we are putting all of our eggs in one basket”… are we sure this is the right thing to do?

Thanks
Martin Henry
Tom Sliepen
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 02:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an effort to answer previous questions of the same nature, a letter was sent out on April 30th of this year to all members. It detailed the duties of the admin office / executive director. Please read back through that email to have most of your questions answered. In lieu of that, my reply in the budget discussion does much of the same.

Can you explain a little more what you mean with some of your other questions? What kind of information do you need to know that the BOD has protected the financial interests of HPAC, if the BOD protected our future? Tim Parker, the Treasurer, will likely be able to answer you questions.

It think it is unlikely that details of the service contract with the Executive Director will be posted here. We are currently discussing what we feel comfortable and what we consider reasonable to share here, and if it is even legal to share such information. There is the matter of privacy to the employee to observe here. I don't have firm researched answers yet. We have however already established that it is not common at all to make such information public. We have actually already disclosed more information than is common by detailing the salary of the exec.

Succession and "the eggs in one basket" scenario is on the mind of the board as well. I have actually raised that specific topic a few times during the annual director's meetings. Increased automation with back ups at the HPAC office and the new website, more specifically, the invisible back end of the website, is a big help in ensuring that a lot of information is safe harboured. Passwords, access information and such is available to a select few and will not disappear if something were to happen to our one paid staff member. Our current executive admin had a challenging time finding all the information required to do the job properly when she took her position in a time when most everything was still on paper. Ever since we have been very cognizant of not falling into the "eggs in one basket" trap. A valid concern for sure.

Tom Sliepen
HPAC Prairies Region Rep.
Martin Henry
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Sliepen wrote:
Can you explain a little more what you mean with some of your other questions? What kind of information do you need to know that the BOD has protected the financial interests of HPAC, if the BOD protected our future? Tim Parker, the Treasurer, will likely be able to answer you questions.Tom Sliepen
HPAC Prairies Region Rep.

Tom,

Simple stuff like,

- is the contract a closed 1 year term, negotiated and renewed by the BOD? Is it a rolling contract that renews annually as approved by the board.

-How is compensation determined and adjusted and when?

- Can the BOD terminate the Executive director at any time and if so, what obligations would result (example, Pay out the remainder of the term, Pro-Rate or?)

In the context of protecting the association I can give you two scenarios, I become President (and before you start laughing, think about what the Americans have for a President? I have my fans.....) Along with with a brand new rabid right wing conservative BOD , We decide to toss out the Executive Director, what kind of trouble are we in?

Or, we (the HPAC/ACVL ) get sued, the lawyers got all of our money and we are broke... does the contract squeeze blood out of a stone, that is to say the members are on the hook for any remaining period in left in the Executive Directors contract.

Since $48,000 is real money, and we are voting on spending it, Its the kind of thing I (as a current member) would like to know.

Martin
Nicolas Jones
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 06:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin Henry wrote:

Simple stuff like,

- is the contract a closed 1 year term, negotiated and renewed by the BOD? Is it a rolling contract that renews annually as approved by the board.

-How is compensation determined and adjusted and when?

- Can the BOD terminate the Executive director at any time and if so, what obligations would result (example, Pay out the remainder of the term, Pro-Rate or?)

In the context of protecting the association I can give you two scenarios, I become President (and before you start laughing, think about what the Americans have for a President? I have my fans.....) Along with with a brand new rabid right wing conservative BOD , We decide to toss out the Executive Director, what kind of trouble are we in?

Or, we (the HPAC/ACVL ) get sued, the lawyers got all of our money and we are broke... does the contract squeeze blood out of a stone, that is to say the members are on the hook for any remaining period in left in the Executive Directors contract.

Since $48,000 is real money, and we are voting on spending it, Its the kind of thing I (as a current member) would like to know.

Martin

Some of your questions are covered by SOP-250-3 available on the website.

Compensation has not been reviewed or adjusted since before I joined the BoD in 2013. The BoD conducted a review this year at the ADM, the process we used for that review is posted in the budget topic of this AGM.

As far as "response from the BoD" - that will take several days since we are a group spread across several time zones with different work schedules.

I will work on getting the other answers you want, but as Tom has pointed out we need to observe any legal obligations we have regarding confidentiality of certain information. This is technically a contract position, but also has some aspects of an employer-employee relationship so we need to make sure we follow the law.

Nick
Martin Henry
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

Never know what web site your talking about, new, old ... regardless, to those that may be interested:

https://hpac.ca/files/sop/250-3_en.pdf

Martin
Remy Guignard
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Martin,

it is interesting, but where is the Job description document?

That would be really interesting for the members to be able to know what they are paying for.

Merci Martin,

C'est intéressant, Mais où est le document de description de position.

Ce serait vraiment intéressant pour les membres de pouvoir savoir ce qu'ils paient pour.

edit:
I just read above that an email has been sent in April with the duties of the job position,
could this document be accessible online for new members, and future members?

Ps:

Je viens de lire plus haut, qu'un email a été envoyé en Avril comprenant les obligations du poste,
Est-ce que ce document peut être accessible en ligne, pour les nouveaux membres, et les futurs membres?
Martin Henry
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remy,

Ok, not totally versed on how the SOP's work (Standard Operating Procedures ) but the link gives you the overview of the position. Excerpt From the SOP:

Responsibilities of the Executive Director

6. The Executive Director serves as Chief Operating Officer of the HPAC/ACVL, reporting to the
President. The specific responsibilities of the Executive Director are specified in the Job Description
that shall be referenced by, and attached to any agreement that is entered into between the
HPAC/ACVL and the Executive Director, and further as is itemized in any and all individual Policies and
Operating Procedures.

The Job Description is to be attached to the contract. Tom Sliepen did cover elsewhere on the Budget thread a recounted list of duties, his post eluded to an Email sent out earlier this year that I'm sorry have yet to find and perhaps one of the directors would like re-post the content (if its ok with the lawyers?). Suffice to say it probably covers everything you can imagine that has anything to do with managing the association.

Also, Apparently we can't see everything in the contract as we may be breaking some sort of employment rules?

Martin
Remy Guignard
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Martin,

I was more asking to the directors, as you I can't find this email, I might have lost it, sorry.

I still think that it would be great to post on the website, in the HPAC's Office section, the Job Description of the position as it is the only paid position of the association, and every members should have access at any time to this informations, to permit a better transparency.

Thank you to every members for their participation to improve the association

Je posais plus cette question aux directeurs, Comme toi je ne trouve pas cet email, Je pourrais l'avoir perdu, désolé.

Je pense toujours, qu'il serais bien de poster sur le site, dans la section Bureau de L'ACVL, la description du poste, comme c'est le seul emploi rémunéré de l'association, tout membres devrais avoir accès à n',importe quel moment ces informations, pour permettre une meilleure transparence.

Merci à tous les membres pour votre participation afin d'améliorer l'association
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HPAC/ACVL Forum Index -> AGM 2018 - Annual General Meeting All times are GMT-6 hours: CST/MDT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: