Joined: 10 Dec 2014
|Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 02:36 pm Post subject: 10 Things You Need to Know about the Willi
|The Willi team is working hard to get ready for getting underway next Friday. Here are some things you will need to know early if you are joining us...
1. The weather will be excellent. Don't worry about the forecast or the naysayers - they will be wrong. Count on great weather.
2. For those wondering, the scoring format has not changed. Your best 3 flights over the week (July 27-Aug 4) will count toward your score. So, if you can only join us on the 2 weekends, you are still in the game. Sunday, Aug 4 we are considering a classic race to Harrogate task (the old folks will recall). Details about if and how for this will be made available during the week, but it will count toward your score and be fun.
3. Registration will start 7:00ish Friday evening, the 26th. All pilots, even those pre-registered need to check in to sign waivers, etc. The "ish" is because that evening is likely to be blessed with a classic Golden glass-off. If it is, we might all be flying. If you miss it on Friday, we'll do registration again Saturday morning prior to the meeting, and someone will gladly sign you up all week if that is necessary. Rule is though, if you're not registered, the flight doesn't count, so see us first.
4. Headquarters will be in the GEAR Pavilion all week. If something is happening and you're not sure where, go to the Pavillion. If you don't know what that is, look for a big barn.
5. The first Pilot Meeting will be Saturday morning at 10:00 AM SHARP in the Pavilion. All pilots should attend this first meeting. We will be providing important information regarding pilot check-in, tracking, safety, etc. Don't miss it.
6. There will also be Pilot Meetings every morning at 10:00. These are recommended, but not mandatory. Miss it though and you'll be dumb all day and won't have a cool door prize to show your friends that you actually won something at a flying competition.
7. As per the tradition, breakfast will be available every day at 8:00-10:00 AM in the Pavilion. The cost will be $5 (sorry, free just doesn't work anymore, but you can't find breakfast downtown for that price). Breakfast preparation is a volunteer effort. If you'd like to help, please see Dale Osmond.
8. The famous Muller Wind Sports BBQ (thanks Vincene, Keith and the instructor staff) will go off as usual on Saturday the 27th at 7:00ish (see glassoff comment above).
9. The wonderful Closing Buffet and Prize Ceremony, hosted by the Cluckos, will happen Sunday, Aug 4th as early as is feasible given the flying (the race to Harrogate idea is intended to get us all home early to eat). Entrants in the Willi get this meal free. Others can get a ticket for $20. Buy extra tickets as early in the week as you can so the Cluckos know how many to cook too much food for.
10. SPOT or equivalent, with tracking enabled, is required for the meet. We will be sending info to all registered pilots next week regarding your set-up for the meet. Don't worry - help will be available at the meet if you have problems getting everything to work.
If you have any questions or concerns, send them in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The old dummy who is taking care of the technical stuff has finally figured out how to access the mail box.