HPAC/ACVL
Hang Gliding & Paragliding Association of Canada
Association Canadienne de Vol Libre

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Forum SubscriptionsForum Subscriptions   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Official Sport Status

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Domagoj Juretic
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Official Sport Status Reply with quote

Hi guys,

to be recognized as an official sport, we need to have 3000 members! Sad

It's not hopeless tough. Some associations give memberships to tandem students.
(Remember, TC requires them to be students!) Wink

I was just discussing this at the BOD level.

Must see if it's feasable

Keep you posted.

Dom
Serge Lamarche
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 01:24 pm    Post subject: disagree - désapprouve Reply with quote

Hi/Bonjour Dom,

I think it would be a shame. / Je crois que ce serait une honte.

thanks, / merci,
Serge.
-----
Visitez/visit mt7.ca
Mark Dowsett
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 02:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you mean to put this as a reply to my post on the CASN post?
Doug Keller
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 05:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what "official sport" means and the implications of it. We've never had 3000 members so I guess we've never been official but somehow we've managed to survive and continue to fly. What's the benefit of being "official"?
Domagoj Juretic
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 08:22 am    Post subject: Official Sport Status Reply with quote

Potentially being eligible to all sorts of grants and support (paid trainors for our elite pilots for example) from the federal (and in some cases provincail governments).

This is a numbers game, and the magical number is 3000.

Dom
Serge Lamarche
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 01:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom,
I understand the goal would be to increase the membership but the membership is not just a number. The old AVLQ was putting everyone taking a course as members for low fee to boost number for grants. Then, the goverment cut all these grants altogether. In addition, some guys saw that they could rule the association because these empty shells would not protest about anything they would do.
I don't think we should try to boost our numbers at all this way. We should strive to obtain a very solid and stable membership by improving the experience for the ones who do it.
thanks,
Serge.

-------- français:
Domagoj,
Je comprend que le but est d'augmenter l'adhésion mais l'adhésion n'est pas qu'un nombre. L'ancienne AVLQ faisait cela, chaque élève comptait comme membre, peu importe s'ils volaient ou non. Le gouvernement a ensuite complètement coupé toutes ces subventions. De plus, certains individus ont vu qu'ils pouvait dominer l'association parceque ces coquilles vides ne protesteraient jamais ce qu'ils feraient.
Je ne crois pas du tout que nous devrions enfler nos nombres de cette façon. Nous devrions viser à obtenir une adhésion solide et stable en améliorant l'expérience de ceux qui volent.
merci,
Serge.
-----
Visitez/visit mt7.ca
Michael Robertson
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 09:36 am    Post subject: Number Game Reply with quote

I know the Parachuters used tandems and one jump people as a way to boost there numbers. If we listed all those who do try outs it would be quite a bit of extra paperwork but would easily get us to the numbers required quite quickly. Again the question becomes what's the purpose. If it's for grants that opens another can of paperwork worms. We found in Ontario when we used to get grants, the $ hardly justified the amount of time - if you value volunteer hours.

It wouldn't impact safety one way or the other. It would require all schools and tandem operations to send in their complete list of one-dayers and tandem which has been a problem for some schools, not a problem from my point of view except the extra layer of work.

be well
michael
Domagoj Juretic
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pros and cons proposition, that's for sure.
And some of the cons could definitely fall on our (HPAC and our school owners) laps.

Some of the pros could be grants, of course. But another one might be that stop flying under the radar.

In a discussion with some businessmen trying to put together a new amateur sports channel, this 3000 member standard did come up.

We still have to research the pros and cons. But we won't bring any such changes without consultation (because of all the possible ensuing paperwork). And this consultation should only occur once we gather all the facts. So this is really a very preliminary discussion.

Dom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HPAC/ACVL Forum Index -> Members Only All times are GMT-6 hours: CST/MDT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: