HPAC/ACVL
Hang Gliding & Paragliding Association of Canada
Association Canadienne de Vol Libre

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Forum SubscriptionsForum Subscriptions   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why the "Come Fly With Me" Campaign?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Domagoj Juretic
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 09:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,
please permit me to answer point by point as to not miss anything.

It might be worth having a discussion about the recently revealed "Come Fly With Me Campaign." From where I sit in western Canada I might be a little jading in thinking that this isn't going to do much for the association.

You might be right of course. But you have to understand that we don't have the luxury of sitting in western Canada and therefore must think nationally about the sport as it stands across the land.

So lets discuss the goals of the campaign and see if putting on an advertising campaign is going to help meet those goals.

To toss out a few bits of information that will help the discussion:
- about 190 completely new ratings were given out by HPAC between May 1 of 2006 and May 1 of 2007.
- an average over the last 11 years of 165 new pilots joined HPAC per year

For all intents and purposes, the numbers are staying the same and might be considered as stagnant.

- of pilots who got a rating in 1996, between 8 and 10% of them are still members of the association
- within 2 years of getting their first rating, only about 40% of the pilots are still members of the association
- after about five years, only 20% of the pilots remain

Attrition is definitely a major factor impacting our numbers. It is the end part of the membership numbers' equation.

- in western Canada there is a serious shortage of hang gliding instructors which has been the case for several years

Point taken. A sad situation that seems to be local. Once hang gliding looses its roots in a region, it seems hard to transplant it back. I don't see any easy solutions. Sure would like some imput on this if anyone has any ideas.

- in western Canada paragliding instructors are not having problems finding students

I am very happy for the western instructors. Unfortunately this happy state of affairs is very local it seems.

Questions that I think need to be asked are:
1. With close to 200 new pilots joining the association aren't we already doing a good job of bringing new people into the sport?

In comparaison to what? To another sport? This number is minuscule whatever sport you compare it to (on a national basis).

2. Why is the attrition rate so high?
3. Why does attrition happen so rapidly?

Sure would like to know the answer to that one. Even if we knew or if something could be done about this unsolved mystery that dates back to the first years of our sport. There might be an answer in the demographics we appeal to....and could appeal to (with the help of marketing).

4. What can be done about the shortage of instructors, especially hang gliding instructors?

I don't know but, I sure would like to know if we could do something to reverse this situation which although local for now could be indicative of a world wide trend we seem to witness.

If we had reduced attrition by 10% a decade ago, the association would easily have over 200 more members today. On the other hand recruiting 10% more new pilots a decade ago at these attrition rates only grows the association by about 40 members

The person who could help stemm off the attrition rate will be deserving of a special prize from their national association.[color=darkred][/color]

Promotion is in our statutes. It is part of our mission statement.

Domagoj

Martin Matyas
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 06:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having to drive 3 hours to a site is definitly a challenge when trying to get people into a new sport. Also, there is the risk factor: I met an pilot I learned to fly with years ago. I told him, "I got my first real flight yesterday: 52 minutes! And how has your flying been lately?" His answer: "I took up photography; it's cheeper and safer."
As for people being rude to each other? Maybe I'm lucky enough to have never encountered that scanario in Golden, BC.

Martin
Alain Baird
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 03:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attrition could be directly related to membership fees.

It may not seem like that much ($150), but I get 3rd party liability insurance via the CSPA (Canadian Sport Parachuting Association) for skydiving activities for $85/year.

I know in some countries, Skydiving and HG/PG Associations are together as one, and are under the same insurance rider. Since both associations fall under the Aeroclub of Canada, maybe there's something that could be done here (joining insurance policies of both associations to get both cheaper). I'm not saying that the associations should be merged, just that maybe we'd get a better price on combined insurance.

I pay for skydiving insurance, HPAC insurance and hot air balloon insurance, but I can only do one thing at a time... Wink

I know some PG people just don't join, maybe people are still flying, but not renewing...
Domagoj Juretic
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alain,

interesting idea! To be honest, I have never thought of that.
I will bring it up with the Aeroclub and/or the Parachuting Association.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Domagoj Juretic
HPAC President

P.s. We are discussion lowering membership fees on the AGM 2010 thread.
Fred Wilson
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 02:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is the attrition rate so high, so rapid? Reply with quote

Robert Samplonius wrote:
What can be done about the shortage of instructors, especially hang gliding instructors?

One of the things we ought to be doing is looking at new and better ways to support the financial stability and success of schools.
This is one of the three primary goals of the USHPA. (Oz Report discussion on the USHPA initiative.)

1. One item I would suggest is that it should be HPAC "Recommended Policy" that only registered schools and instructors should become dealers for Hang Gliding and Paragliding products.

It seems like a considerable number of private pilots become dealers only because they can get a free glider for every 4 or 5 they sell, resulting in undercutting schools profits and sales.

The future of the sport is dependent upon a viable instruction system. Supporting the financial stream coming into schools in manners such as this will help the financial viability of becoming an instructor and establishing a healthy school environment.

2. PADI's Bring a Friend Program. This is an innovative program to actively encourage members to identify and refer new students to schools. So financially viable and successful it has been retained for over a decade now.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Read Amir Izadi's Paragliding Forum thread "Paragliding popularity in N. America - why so low?"

Fred Wilson
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 06:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin Matyas wrote:
Having to drive 3 hours to a site is definitly a challenge when trying to get people into a new sport.

The HPAC has initiated a Site Development and Preservation Funding Program and committee.

Unfortunately, as yet no PRD or web page to fill in the details...

The BCHPA puts the vast majority of the $15 revenue it gets from each provincial member into its fund, which has a 30 year history of improving quality, quantity and the accessibility of flying sites in BC. (One big reason why BC is such an awesome place to live and fly.) We need more regions in BC to take advantage of it, and for more Provincial Associations and clubs to copy the program.

CRITERIA FOR FINANCIAL SUPPORT FROM THE BCHPA Site Development and Maintenance Funding
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HPAC/ACVL Forum Index -> Members Only All times are GMT-6 hours: CST/MDT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: