HPAC/ACVL
Hang Gliding & Paragliding Association of Canada
Association Canadienne de Vol Libre

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Forum SubscriptionsForum Subscriptions   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Instruction

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HPAC/ACVL Forum Index -> AGM 2018 - Annual General Meeting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Robertson
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 01:32 pm    Post subject: Instruction Reply with quote

Forgiver me if this is the wrong time or place - not used to this format. Didn't see an agenda?
Speaking to Margit/Admin the other day i was told that the board had made the new log book mandatory. I think it's a fine log book AND we were told during the discussions with the CSI it would NOT be made mandatory? There was not allot of feedback at the time, nothing from QU and someone made the observation that maybe HPAC should hold off on the expense of translating and publishing. Here at Hp, we use a similar, thorough, large format (8.5 x 11) log book/notebook for our students with lots of space for student and instructor comments after each day of instruction. It has served us well and continues to do so. I'm not a fan of having to retrograde my program and what about the many copies of my current log book? I was shocked by this move. If there are instructors who are not following a proper program, maybe they should be handled individually rather than requiring all of us to make this change, especially with no consultation and implementation period. I'm rather surprised and disappointed. Hopefully i'm missing something. Thanks to the board for all, well most, of what you do Smile

michael #689
Jimmy Giroux
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 05:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Micheal, I understand your conserved but the important is to have a standard across Canada not because of bad instructor but so we are all teaching the same safe practice. You are right that all souls of been able to have their say and not just the seniors.

I congratulate you on making good material for your school and I am doing the same for my but by going with APPI as they have great material and curriculum, as I am a PADI master instructor teaching divers to become instructors, i see big lacunes in our HPAC teaching system which I would be more than welling to help develop but I am just a baby instructor with HPAC and my opinion does not matter as I didn’t proved myself yet, or is it other reason??? Like market protection??? I hope not as with only 1000 pilots out of 48 millions Canadien, the market is wide open I think.

All this to say that we really need a proper curriculum with an instructor manuals and a pilots manual for learning, revising and developing our pilots base in a professional and standardized way across Canada for safety and to reduce our insurance burden.

Thanks for starting this conversation bro!
Mark Carter
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 03:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive my ignorance - is the standardized logbook something schools can d/l + print, photocopy, or has to be purchased from the org?
Jimmy Giroux
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 04:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure bro as I am a baby instructor and didn’t certified anyone yet as I am in my competition season and just did my instructor certification before leaving for Europe. Claudio told me that it was not obligated to use is yet but was highly recommending it as a tool for new instructor like me and to use it as an aide memoire, which I taught it was a good first step but I hope only a first step. As for the download and print I am not sure but I can’t find a place to do so on the HPAC website but you may be able to find it in the instructor site which I have not access yet as my instructor certification is still in process of approval. You can buy them thru HPAC for 20$ Each on the website and I can see your next email message coming and I agree...
Martin Henry
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Instruction Reply with quote

Michael Robertson wrote:
Forgiver me if this is the wrong time or place - not used to this format. Didn't see an agenda?

michael #689

Michael,

As far as I'm concerned this is the right place to discuss the HPAC/ACVL business! There is should be more of it... a good old fashion place where "old men" and rant and rave about things of great importance and the young ones can learn Wink

The only thing missing with the online format and discussion is Beer!

Cheers from West Coast

Martin
Nicolas Jones
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 04:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Carter wrote:
Forgive my ignorance - is the standardized logbook something schools can d/l + print, photocopy, or has to be purchased from the org?

The P1/P2 logbook is available as a printable PDF here.

https://www.hpac.ca/pub/?pid=112
https://www.acvl.ca/pub/?pid=112

The H1/H2 logbook is not on the website yet, I'll follow up on that.

Update: the H1/H2 logbook is now available for download on both the old and beta websites at the same links above.

Jimmy Giroux
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 01:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nicolas
Christopher Ball
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 07:53 am    Post subject: Logbooks Reply with quote

I designed and have always used my own personal logbook. When I took both HG and ULTRALIGHT instruction, I was told that we could use standard logbooks, or design and use our own. I personalized my own design because I like to add comments and track additional information about my flying, which there is not space for in a traditional logbook. As far as I know, for non commercial flying, there is no required logbook format When i went for my ULTRA tests and instruction certification, my custom designed logbook was accepted without question.
Nicolas Jones
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 08:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Students and instructors are free to use their own logbooks.

The mandatory use of the HPAC logbook is intended to help the student understand the training outline, and monitor their own progress and promote uniformity of training across the country. It also provides students with a uniform and recognized record of their training progress should they move to another school.

Please look at the logbook online, it's actually a checklist that follows the minimum pilot training requirements in the SOPs.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HPAC/ACVL Forum Index -> AGM 2018 - Annual General Meeting All times are GMT-6 hours: CST/MDT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: