HPAC/ACVL
Hang Gliding & Paragliding Association of Canada
Association Canadienne de Vol Libre

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Forum SubscriptionsForum Subscriptions   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My opinion about the results for the AGM, we need to fix this!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pedro Eiler Pedersen
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: My opinion about the results for the AGM, we need to fix this! Reply with quote

Seen that only 45 members (from 985) had voted, is telling me that the current DOB is missing the boat somewhere.
I know that our community is quite apathetic (and is the the biggest reason why numbers of pilots have been declining) so I propose we bring this up for discussion and try to find a solution.

In Argentina we say "Is not the dog's fault but who feeds him" and I agree, in this case is the membership that is feeding the BDO, and as member of this community, I think we are doing something wrong.
I propose we discuss this, keep in mind that is not worth it to start smearing people, point fingers, or throw blame around, but to identify the things we as a community will need for the BOD to do to get us more engage.

Among the things to discuss, Do we need HPAC?
My personal opinion is YES, we need it, but we need it to work better than the way is working now.

Our sport is grouped in different levels across Canada, we have local clubs, provincial associations and HPAC.

We need the clubs because these are necessary to develop and promote the sport in each regional area.
We need the Provincial association because these are the ones that will help organize and direct the sport based on the province's requirements
We need HPAC to represent the community for Canada, internationally, and also deal with our Insurance and with Transport Canada.

This is what I think: we are a relative small community, approximately 1000 members that are participating in multiple organizations, we actually are diluting the efforts we all can provide to our flying community.

I also think that the same issues we are having at a national level (HPAC) we also have in most of the provincial associations, I think that most of us don't really know who is right now on our provincial associations BOD.
A very simple and effective solution is to re-think the way we elect and assign members to each of these organizations.

we need to reorganize our sport from the roots up, I propose that each club in the province has a member of his board to become also member of the Provincial association, this person will be elected from with in the club members, can have a dedicated role for this or also do other work for the club (will be up to each club how they want t o manage this)
The club as it has a president, secretary, membership role, safety role, sites roles,etc., will also have a Provincial Assc. rep (PAR) role.

The provincial association will be composed by all club elected PAR members, from this pool of members they will define their internal roles and one of the roles will be to be a member of the HPAC BOD

I think this would be the most effective way of reorganizing our sport and solving the issues we currently have across our community, we will have real representation at each level of our sport, and will be able to deal better with all the issues we are having at the moment.

I am concern that the way things are now will work against our ability to keep our sport free of direct regulation by Transport Canada, we need a strong HPAC and also strong Provincial Association, and that can only be obtain if we get them done from the grass roots.

My 2 cents,

Pedro eiler Pedersen.
Martin Henry
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedro... always enthusiastic! Wink

Speaking of dilution. Where do we find our beloved HPAC/ACVL?

Our modern internet world dilutes the content, and the very meager content that comes from HPAC is tossed into the winds of all the forms of communication only to vanish into the ether.

We have THIS clunky dysfunctional forum that appears to work for the half dozen people that look at it. Rumor has it there is something called "Fuss Book"? (some sort of money making venture involving social media? )that apparently is a place where many go to gripe about the association... not me tho... I avoid these cult like trends!

We have a Yahoo Forum... for the other half dozen that read that. The HPAC has a web site, that for some reason needs to be replaced... don't know why, its just a bulletin board and seems to work. We get an online news letter... once a year? (no doubt because nobody wants to write anything?). We no doubt have Twitter, Tweets, Googles and other variations of the endless social media that seem to keep the kids amused?

We lack focus, the kind of focus you need when your trying to hold together a national organization in a country this big.

As I recall, one thing that could really bring this country together is autocratic benevolent dictator. Nothing brings people together better than the assembly of an angry mob!

Seriously... we no longer have a singular national platform and the membership has no idea what the HPAC/ACVL is.

Martin
(ex Emperor)
Dennie Shipley
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Yes, Reply with quote

I agree Pedro,
Each club should have a representative at the BOD. My other main gripe is the lack of communication with members. Punitive actions taken by the BOD has been poorly handled in a fashion where the only side of the story getting out is the one being disciplined. I'd like to see a new age of engagement. Transparency with club dealings. And people actually voting. Perhaps emails prompting people to vote directly on issues that include their log in ID and Password?
Darek Magusiak
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Yes, Reply with quote

Dennie Shipley wrote:
Perhaps emails prompting people to vote directly on issues that include their log in ID and Password?

Agreed. I'm sure methods to send mass emails are already in place, we just need to use them more.

Sending login/passwords wouldn't be a good idea for security reasons.
Passwords should be encrypted in database (I hope they are this way) and no one should be able to decrypt them.

Overall, it feels like it would be cool to have more information flowing from HPAC/ACVL to members and there are multiple channels that can be used to do so.
Serge Lamarche
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 09:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pedro, why not start the discussion in FB instead? I can tell you right away that the BoD is not informing the HPAC members, it is disinforming. They expelled illegally (also immorally and unjustifiably) and tried to have the member shut up on the fb forum. They forced some other discussion threads on FB to be removed. In the HPAC forum (here), they remove posts they don't like, even from members that swallow their usual BS. This BoD is imbued with their own power (and the perks they give themselves) and do not want an association where members associate. It would undermine them and they would not be able to abuse at will anymore.

The solution is pretty simple: the BoD is rotten and should be removed. A good BoD could and would easily inform all members of what they do and what is happening on a true and transparent newsletter at least. A good BoD would not lie, there would be no need to. A good BoD would not decide things without using a bit of brain.

Another element should probably be added to the HPAC: an ombudsman. Someone that would protect the members, schools, instructors from stupid decisions the BoD or other people in charge at the HPAC would take.

I did suggest awhile ago and reiterate here that the HPAC should have a communication team that is independant from the BoD so that it would be able to inform the members with true information without unduly interferences from the BoD.
thanks,
Serge.
Bruce Busby
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All very good ideas but... where will all these people come from? Traditionally, the HPAC has suffered from volunteer burnout for the few that stand. Generally speaking getting positions filled is difficult.
Here's a better idea (IMHO): Find out who your BoD rep is (if you dont already know who your rep is), pick up the phone, send an email, meet for a discussion with her/him. We're all very approachable. Discuss your concerns and get a feel for what we do at the BoD level. Still not satisfied? Run for your regions rep position and step into the BoD. New blood and fresh ideas always helps make sure we're on the right track.
As for the diluted message... there is no clear winner. Some prefer Facebook, others want forums, some want a return of air magazine. We try to get the message out but at the end of the day, we're all volunteers with real jobs, families, etc.
As for releasing sensitive info on reasons for expulsion etc.: Not going to happen folks. No reason to publicly embarrass an ex member in case they eventually get their poop in a group and want to rejoin the fold. They shouldn't have the stigma of their transgressions follow them publicly. We only take such drastic action in matters in which they're warranted. Don't like that answer? Tough. Join the BoD to know all or trust that we're doing it right
Bruce Busby
Pedro Eiler Pedersen
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 02:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Busby wrote:
All very good ideas but... where will all these people come from? Traditionally, the HPAC has suffered from volunteer burnout for the few that stand. Generally speaking getting positions filled is difficult.

this is exactly why I am looking at alternatives to the current way of electing members to the different groups that we have for the province and at the country level., Now I am not sure if this will work on other provinces, but it would work here in BC, we have the numbers to support it.

Is easy to say, run for a position, there are positions at the local level in the club, provincial level and nationals level, some of us already doing that for the sport, that is why I think is worth it to present this idea for discussion, if the way to elect members was from the grassroots up starting from the clubs, then my opinion would be able to navigate up to the top level HPAC as I serve in my regional club.

For the diluted message, I have no problem if you want to use this HPAC forum, but then fix it, every time someone post here, the people in the discussion should get an email, that function is not working, and principal the reason that discussion are not been maintained in it (at list until my last posting, will see if it got fixed when I post this.)

Or if you like to use Facebook, I have no problem... but then get control of it, at this time is still managed just by Gerry Grossnegger, is this page the "OFFICIAL page for HPAC" ? then great, anounce it as that, but if it is not, please ask Gerry to remove or modify the header Image, 90% of the people that signed to it did it thinking it is the OFFICIAL voice of HPAC. This is not acceptable., if you can't get control of it, then create another one, call it OFFICIAL HPAC and let only HPAC registered members to be part of it, (I don't think that the internal discussions going in there should be accessible by non-members of our association, should be only for members that have an invested interest in it)

Any way, I am writing this because I see problems ,and no solutions, and very little commitment from the flying community to find solutions to this.
I think that rethinking the way we elect the official is the beginning of a long term solution.

Pedro Pedersen
Pedro Eiler Pedersen
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 02:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and yep, this forum still don't send emails, when posting I get this error:

Ran into problems sending Mail. Response: "535 Incorrect authentication data " (first 3 characters != "334")

DEBUG MODE

Line : 129
File : smtp.php

For the money spent on building HPAC sites this should be fixed.

Pedro Pedersen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HPAC/ACVL Forum Index -> Members Only All times are GMT-6 hours: CST/MDT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: