HPAC/ACVL
Hang Gliding & Paragliding Association of Canada
Association Canadienne de Vol Libre

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Forum SubscriptionsForum Subscriptions   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Updating Hpac ratings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert Clarkson
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Updating Hpac ratings Reply with quote

Hpac is forming a committee to update the rating system in Canada. I thought it would be useful to start a discussion on what Canadian pilots consider appropriate requirements for ratings. When I hit fifty hours of air time I didn't feel like I was an advanced pilot. I think 100hrs would be better.
Scare
Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 01:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From PRD 410-2 Pilot Ratings:
Jason Dyer
HPAC/ACVL Member
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 08:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that the point of the ratings is to get a feel for how experienced the pilot is. If someone tells me they are an advanced pilot, then I would only go over the cautions that weren't blatantly obvious. I think they are fine the way they were and are fine the way they are now. I think we could get rid of the first aid tickets. This should be suggested, not a requirement. Nobody needs first aid to be the best pilot there is.

I myself am an unrated pilot because I have never needed a rating to fly. I would be beginner by today's system because I don't have first aid or Hagar. Minus those requirements and I would be advanced. While I don't feel like I am an advanced pilot in the sense of the word (advanced=expert). I do feel I could safely choose to launch-fly-land any site I came apon. I think this is what is meant by advanced, and so feel that an advanced rating on my card would be justified.

One last issue, from today on, there will not be anymore unrated pilots (new). Why would an unrated pilot have to write every test when it is obvious they are not beginners? To help get rid of the "unrated's" (there are allot of us) I think an endorsement from an advanced pilot should be enough to write whatever test we want to start at.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HPAC/ACVL Forum Index -> Members Only All times are GMT-6 hours: CST/MDT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: