Date of Issue: 26 may 2015
Purpose of this operating procedure (OP)
- The purpose of this operating procedure is to define and describe the procedure to grant the Michael Robertson Instructor of the Year Award.
- The Michael Robertson Instructor of the Year Award was conceived to honour and salute instructors who make the sport move forward by transmitting skills, knowledge and passion to new generations of pilots. Commitment to safety and excellence are key qualities that shall be looked for.
- The nominated instructor has been an active instructor in good standing with HPAC in the past year.
- The Michael Robertson Award can be awarded to the same instructor more than once.
- Any member of the HPAC/ACVL may nominate an individual for the award.
- Nominations must be forwarded to the Executive Director.
- The winner shall be selected from the nominated individuals by a vote of the Directors at the annual meeting of the BoD.
About Michael Robertson
Michael Robertson has been flying hang gliders for over 30 years and has logged over 15,000 flights. He is a HPAC Senior Tandem Instructor and has introduced innumerable pilots to the sport. He holds an HPAC Master Rating and USHGA 4th Diamond Safety Award. He created the Robertson Charts of Reliability (RCR), and is recognized as the inventor of the basebar safety wheel for hang gliders.
Through his school he has provided hang gliding technical expertise and piloting film work including "Fly Away Home" and "When Night is Falling". Television credits include Outdoor Life Network and a Diet Pepsi commercial. Michael is notable for being one of only two pilots to fly from the CN tower on Toronto (as part of the Pepsi commercial in 1988).
- 2011-04-01: created
- 2015-12-14 SL: new version conform to canadian regulations